Khazrati Imam Architectural Complex.




Shaikhontokhur district, Karasaray street



The whole complex, which is now consists of ’Barakhan’ madrassah, ‘Tilla Shaykh’ mosque, ’Muyi Muborak’ madrassah, tomb of Kaffal Shashi, ’Namozgah’ mosque, as well as newly built ’Hazrat Imam’ mosque and the new administrative building of the Muslim Board of Uzbekistan, was named Hazrat Imam (in the modern pronunciation of Hast Imam) on behalf of the Sheikh Kaffal Shashi. Today over 20 craftsmen sell their hand made products inside the courtyard of Barakhan Madrassah at Khazrati Imam cplaex in Tashkent. You will find here everything from ikat fabrics to jewellry, woodcarving to pottery. Abubakr Muhammad Kaffal Shashi – one of the first imams of the Muslim world, a native of Tashkent, a preacher and a distributor of Shafiism in Tashkent, a well-known Muslim scholar, connoisseur of Holy Qur’an, Hadith, Islamic law and lexicology. In the 16th century, during the Sheybanid’s period, Tashkent became developed cultural, trade and craft center of Maverannahr. That time, the mausoleum of Kaffal Shashi was re-erected on the ruins of the old building, which was then one of the main shrines of the city. To the south has grown large, shady cemetery. In the mid-16th century, the complex consisted of the Kaffal Shashi mausoleum, and Barakhan madrassah that combines into a single complex of two mausoleums – Unnamed and Suyunij Khan. In 1579 a new mausoleum of Sheikh Babahodzhi was built in the area. Barakhan madrassah was built in the 16th century at the direction of Nauruz Ahmadhan. The Muslim Board of Uzbekistan functioned in the building from 1950 to 2007. Muyi Muborak madrassah was also built in the 16th century. It contains the hair of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw), for this reason the madrassah was named ‘Muyi Muborak’, that is ‘Sacred Hair’. Currently, the madrasa is a library of Muslim Board of Uzbekistan, where the Koran of Khalif Uthman, dated 7th century and rare manuscripts are kept. Tomb of Kaffal Shashi was erected in honor of the Abu Bakr ibn Ali ibn Ismail al-Kaffal Al-Shashi. Primitive form of the tomb was not saved. Its current form was re-built by Ghulam Husayn in 1542. From the architectural point of view, the tomb Kaffal Shoshiy was erected in the form of khanaka (complex structures including cells, mosque, shrine, etc.). Built in about 1865, it was considered one of the largest mosques in Tashkent, where the main holiday prayers (Eid Ramazan and Eid al-Adha) were conducted. Since 1971, there functioned the Tashkent Islamic Institute. Construction of a mosque done in the shortest time (four months) in 2007 on the initiative of President Islam Karimov. The mosque itself is a unique symbol of Tashkent architectural style: at the entrance to the mosque there is a terrace with twenty-carved columns of sandalwood. The mosque also has two large blue domes, the interior of which is decorated with gold leaf as in madrassah Tillakari in Samarkand. Window openings of domes are designed so that the sun’s rays continuously penetrate inside the mosque from sunrise to sunset. At the entrance to the mosque there are erected two minarets of 53 meters in height.